A Collaborative Partnership between Northern Virginia Community College and the Reunion Music Society
Learn more about the NOVA Symphony Orchestra
Fall 2023 Classical Concert: Women of Note
Saturday, November 11, 2023, 8:00 p.m., at the Schlesinger Concert Hall in Alexandria.
All selections on our concert program will be by women composers, including the Symphony No. 1 in E minor by Florence Price.
General Admission – $20.00
Non-NOVA Students – $15.00
NOVA Students and Children 12 and under – Free
ONLINE ADVANCE TICKET PURCHASE is now available!
To purchase general admission tickets in advance for our concert on November 11, 2023, please click here:
NOVA Symphony Orchestra Fall Concert 2023 Tickets, Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:00 PM | Eventbrite
Or scan this QR Code:
Spring 2024 Classical Concert:
Saturday, May 04, 2024, 8:00 p.m., at the Schlesinger Concert Hall in Alexandria.
Summer 2024 Pops Concert:
July 2024, 7:30 p.m., at the Mason District Park Amphitheater in Annandale.
Fall 2024 Classical Concert:
Sunday, November 10, 2024, 4:00 p.m., at the Schlesinger Concert Hall in Alexandria.
Stay tuned for more information.
In the Spring of 1994, the Reunion Music Society, Inc. (RMS) and NVCC President Richard J. Ernst formed a partnership that created The NOVA-Annandale Symphony Orchestra as the Orchestra-in-Residence at the Ernst Cultural Center on the Annandale Campus.
In 2021, the orchestra was renamed the NOVA Symphony Orchestra in recognition of its expanded role serving the entire Northern Virginia Community College. It now uses the new Fine Arts building on the Alexandria Campus as its base for rehearsals and collaborates closely with the Music Department there.
The NOVA Symphony Orchestra is a high-level orchestra composed of volunteer players from the DC metropolitan area. We are a mix of student, adult, and professional musicians. The orchestra uniquely serves our community in several ways:
- It affords community musicians the opportunity to play in a full symphony orchestra, playing at an advanced level.
- It brings high-quality programs to our audiences.
- It provides an ensemble class experience for enrolled Northern Virginia Community College students. The College offers an associate degree in Fine Arts. All members of the orchestra can add value to their experience by enrolling in MUS 148/248 for college credit each semester.
- It creates a venue to discover and present the works of little known composers and offer programs of seldom heard and/or performed music.
- It fosters and promotes music of different cultures and heritages, and programs performances for diverse audiences.
- Orchestra players participate in several other RMS-supported ensembles, including Brass, Chamber Music, and Jazz. The synergy of this mix of activities brings variety to our audiences and provides excellent opportunities for out players to develop their musicianship.
The orchestra has performed works such as:
- Beethoven Symphonies 1, 5, 6, 8
- Brahms – Academic Overture
- Elgar – Enigma Variations
- Holst – The Planets
- Mendelssohn – “Scottish” and “Reformation” Symphonies, Hebrides and Saint Paul Overtures
- Mozart – Symphonies and overtures
- Rimsky-Korsakov – Scheherazade
- Rodrigo – Concerto de Aranjuez (for guitar)
- Rossini – The Barber of Seville
- Sibelius – Finlandia
- Smyth – Overture from “The Wreckers”
- Still – Symphony No. 1 “Afro-American”
- Tchaikovsky – Marche Slave
- Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Concerto for Four Violins
- Johnston – From Far And Away (commissioned by the Reunion Music Society)
- and many works by Josef Haydn, Leo Delibes, Gilbert and Sullivan, Jules Massenet, Henry Mancini, George Gershwin, Scott Joplin, Richard Rogers, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Aaron Copland, Duke Ellington, James Horner, Eugène Bozza, Leonard Bernstein and many others.
Music Director: Christopher Johnston
President: Bruce Salad
Librarian: Sharon Jones
Assistant: Laura Pilkington
Administrative Section leaders:
- Violin I: Patrick Geddes
- Violin II: Adriana Gonzalez
- Viola: Margie Bassman
- Cello: Sharon Jones
- Bass: Andrew Johnston
- Woodwinds: Mitch Bassman
- Brass: Lou Brundidge
- Percussion: Claiborne T. Richardson, II
Questions? Email NOVA.Symphony.Orchestra@gmail.com
Interested in joining? Click here!